Currants, Currants (part II)

Since the currants were so abundant this year, and I had already made currant jam, I decided to attempt to make currant wine. I had most of the supplies that I needed, but needed to pick up a one gallon fermenting jug and an air lock to fit this jug. I also bought a siphon to use to transfer the wine from one container to another.

I found a recipe online, but being the person who likes to experiment and do things my way, I immediately decided that I did not need yeast enhancer. So I put my currants in a jelly bag and let them sit in the mixture of sugar and boiling water, in my 2 gallon crock, for 24+ hours. It was important to keep it covered because if fruit flies got in they could contaminate the product. After that I squeezed out the jelly bag and took the starting measurements. (if you are a wine maker you will know what this refers to, if you are not, it’s not important) I then added the wine yeast and covered it again. After several days nothing seemed to be happening, so I decided that my way was not working. At this point, I could have trashed the project, or we could have just drank currant juice, but I decided to keep trying. I added a package of active dry yeast and it wasn’t long before I knew that fermentation had begun.

Currant Wine fermenting in the crock
Currant Wine fermenting in the crock

After about 5 days the bubbling had slowed significantly so I decided to check my measurements again and after doing so decided it was time to put it in the jug. So I siphoned it from the crock into the glass gallon jug and put the air lock in place so the fermentation can continue.

Currant Wine fermenting with airlock in place
Currant Wine fermenting with airlock in place

Of course during the transfer I did get a taste of the product and, to my unrefined palate, it was really good. At this point it had a sweet flavor which is what I prefer in wine. The recipe, (the one I kinda followed) said that this would be a borderline dry wine so, if it turns out anything like the recipe, it may be more to my husband’s liking.

It has been just over a week since I put it in the jug. It is becoming less opaque and a deeper red in color. The recipe says that it can take 4 or more weeks before it is finished, but there are so many variables at play, including the temperature, which has been very warm but dropped some when we turned the AC on one day, and the fact that I completely changed the recipe when I added the active dry yeast, that I really don’t know when to expect it to be done. The only thing I do know is that it looks and smells so good that I’ll be surprised if we don’t drink it before it is actually done.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s