I started a new (to me) craft this month – it’s Tie-Dye. Here in the U.S. tie-dye clothing is most associated with the 1960’s and the hippie era, however according to this article tie-dye was first used in the 6th century in Asia and first used in the U.S. in the 1920’s. Tie-dye methods have evolved over the years, so if you remember making tie-dye t-shirts by putting rubber bands on a shirt a soaking it in a bucket of dye that is not what I did.
I bought a kit that came with five bottles of different colored dyes and enough dye to fill each bottle twice. Form that kit I was able to create the 8 t-shirts below plus one more that I made just because I didn’t want to waste any of the dye.
For design ideas and inspiration, I watched videos on this website.
I then clothed my whole family in tie-dye. There is one for each of my (4) daughters, one for each of my (2) grandkids, one for my husband and one for me.
It was lots of fun experimenting with different techniques of folding and applying the dye then waiting to see the results. I see more of this in my future. 🙂
Granddaughter Addy wearing her “beautiful new shirt” as she called it.
According to the calendar spring officially arrived today and the weather today was very spring-like. So, what’s a girl to do to celebrate the arrival of her favorite season? For this girl the answer is get her hands in the dirt.
Here in Michigan the ground is still partially frozen and the part that is not frozen is mud, so getting into the garden is out of the question. However, several weeks ago I planted some Johhny Jump Up seeds in small peat pots. (Johnny Jump Ups are also known as wild pansy.) My husband has been nurturing the little seedlings – making sure they have enough water and light.
Today I decided to transplant some of them into pots.
We’re hopeful that they are hardy enough to survive the cool/cold (early)spring temperatures, but I didn’t plant them all so if we lose some, I can replace them.
I also set out our bulb pots. These are some pots that I had planted daffodils and tulips in last year. When the foliage died back and the soil dried up we stored the pots, with the soil and bulbs still in them, in the barn for the winter. When my husband brought them out of the barn last week some of the bulbs were already beginning to sprout.
I set the pots in place beside the deck and will let nature takes it course.
We moved the chicks to their new dwelling on Monday. Having raised chicks several times over the last 10 years we knew it was time for the upgrade, or stage two as we’ve called it in the past. Being in the stock tank is fine when they are very young, but eventually, within a couple of weeks, they begin getting curious and more active. We see them craning their necks – wondering what is up and out there. They also begin using their wings to fly up and sit on top of their feed or water dishes. Past experience has taught us that before long they will fly up to the top rim of the stock tank, and from there the sky is the limit (or they could get into some serious trouble anyway). These chicks are just too young to be out exploring the world on their own – that will come in due time.
For stage two we set up this hutch where we can still keep them contained, but they have a view of the outside world. The lid assures that they can’t fly out, and we put a roost inside because even at this age they like to roost. Since the weather is still too chilly for these chicks to be comfortable outside, we covered it with a large piece of canvas and set up the heat lamp inside. This provides sufficient heat to keep these young ones alive and well.
The chicks first huddled together under the heat lamp.
Before long they began to explore.
The chicks are now content in their new digs where they will spend the next few weeks while their feathers grow in and the weather warms up.
Buttonholes, collar stand, placards, interfacing, French seams, pleats and top stitching all in one project. If nothing else it was a learning experience. I took my time and read the directions carefully and tried to follow them. After two failed attempts at attaching the collar stand I found an online video tutorial to assist me. After I finally got it on I called my sister and said “I HATE COLLAR STANDS!” She laughed before offering encouraging words. “I don’t cuss often,” I told her “but in my mind I was.”
At last, it’s finished. The fit is decent and from a distance it doesn’t look too bad.
I do like the combination of fabrics.
It will be nice for working around the house or farm or perhaps even sitting around a campfire on a summer evening.